Candy Girl

Candy Girl

Friday, October 22, 2010

Don't be too INDEPENDENT!

Good Morning Blogfam!
Being strong and independent are fabulous attributes that everyone should possess.  There is nothing more fulfilling than having the will, desire, and can-do attitude to get things done on your own.  Although there will be times when support will be necessary, that should not be confused with being completely dependent.  I believe there are many people who have reservations about asking for assistance when they need it out of fear of being labeled as dependent or needy.  However, I don’t think that anyone can do everything alone.
I have been on my own for quite some time now and while I know for a fact that I am a strong, independent woman, I also know that there are times when I need to lean on others for support.  It doesn’t make me feel like less of a woman; it just means that I’m human and I have the ability to recognize my blessings.   Whereas dependency happens when a person’s first thought is “Who can help me with this?” instead of “How can I get this done?”  On a personal level, I lean on others for support when I have exhausted all of my options trying to do it on my own and just couldn’t quite get it done.  I am a single mother of three children and for anyone who is in a similar situation, I’m sure you know how hard it can be at times.  If I were to try and convince myself that I could do everything without the support of others then I would find myself struggling which may give me the feeling of independence, while at the same time feeling the pains of stress and weakness.
Independence is not determined by how much you can do on your own, but rather it is determined by how efficient you are at making decisions that will benefit you and your family.  I feel most independent when I can take a difficult situation and make it better by making clear and concise decisions.  It’s not about whether or not I can do it on my own, it’s all about how I am able to handle it.  With that being said, don’t be so independent that you don’t have the ability to recognize, appreciate, and find it advantageous to receive support from others.
Quote of the Day: “Don’t let your independence force you to ignore the fact that support is a necessary blessing.” ~ Candice Loper

No comments:

Post a Comment