Candy Girl

Candy Girl

Monday, April 11, 2011

Realize Your Impact

Good Morning Blogfam!


Speaking, talking, informing, advising, suggesting, and numerous other words describe the many types of conversations that we have.  What I have come to realize is that some people don't realize the effects of their words and how they are perceived by others.  There are some people who will hear everything you say and they will take it with them wherever they go, than you have others who hear nothing at all.  It's important to understand your audience and how they perceive information as an individual.


I used to be that type of person that would always respond affirmatively mainly because I didn't have the courage to say what was really on my mind.  However, I realized that telling someone what they want to hear is an indirect form of misleading them.  Because ultimately they would actually look forward to everything I was telling them, although I knew the whole time that it wouldn't happen.  It's just easier to say what you mean and mean what you say up front, regardless of what a person wants to hear.  Clearly, it would be best to be tactful in your response as i'm sure no one wants to hurt someone's feelings intentionally.  This is important when trying to maintain fruitful relationships.


Words can help just as words can hurt, which is why it's important to utilize them properly.  I have had relationships with people who enjoyed saying hurtful things, but when I looked at the situation in hindsight and was able to evaluate and analyze their life path, I realized their infliction of pain unto others was because that was an outlet due to their own personal pain.  If you know someone like this, the best bit of advice I could give is don't give them satisfaction of seeing you hurt.  If you can't get through to them, don't be afraid to let them go because at least you get to hold on to your dignity and self-respect while they're busy harassing the next person.


Quote of the Day: "Everything you say has the possibility of remembrance." ~ Candice Loper       

  

1 comment:

  1. So very true. The Bible says that death and life are in the power of the tongue. That's how powerful words are. In every verbal exchange we have the choice to either tear down or build up. In example, this time last year, I had just performed spoken word at a jazz event. The promotor, whom I admire, stopped me outside as I was leaving. She asked me when I was going to record my spoken word. I started to explain to her that I planned on doing that but first, I wanted to publish a compilation of my poetry. Her exact words to me were "A book?! Nobody wants a book! They want to HEAR you." That comment stuck with me and caused me to sit on my dream for nearly another year. Now, for her information, my book was just released almost 3 weeks ago and has already sold more than 70 copies! So ***NEWSFLASH, LADY***PEOPLE DO WANT A BOOK! LOL -Ebony

    ReplyDelete