Candy Girl

Candy Girl

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Man vs. Woman or Man = Woman - Take your pick!

Good Morning Blogfam!


Yesterday I read a post on Facebook that got me thinking.  The post read:


"Ladies if you "act like or look like a man" he will treat you like one! Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Our STRENGTH is found in what many misunderstand to be weakness ~ it's called feminine pulchritude!" ~ Vikki Kennedy Johnson


Firstly, I would like to say that I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.  I do believe that as women a part of our responsibility is to recognize the male purpose in our relationships.  However, this doesn't always come easily depending on the circumstances at hand.  It seems as though the burden is placed on women to know their place and respect their mans right to be just that; a man.  The difficulty comes from not knowing or establishing what the respective roles are in the relationship.  Typically, people tend to think that the man should be responsible for taking out the trash, changing the oil on the car, teaching their sons how to be a man, etc.  In contrast, people tend to think that women are responsible for cooking, cleaning, nurturing the children, etc.  Basically, what i'm getting at is what may be the role of a man in one household may not necessarily be the same in another household.  Therefore, it's important to establish what your expectations are from a gender standpoint so that no one's unclear on what their roles are.


Personally, I do believe that allowing a man the opportunity to be a man in my household may be slightly difficult whenever I get to that point.  I say this because I am a strong woman who has had to be stronger than the average person due to everything I am and have been responsible for.  My strength is not utilized to show men up or make them feel like less of a man, it's just necessary because I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and if I was weak there would be no way I could carry the load.  I have had to perform the roles of woman/man/mother/father on a daily basis for majority of the last nine years, so eventually it just became a part of my being.  It has given me the sole responsibility of making sure that everything is done when it should be.  This reason alone will make it difficult for me because I am very impatient when it comes to waiting on others to do things.  Also, because I have done just about everything by myself for so long, I have no clue as to what duties or tasks should be given to my man and which ones I should keep.  I am sure that it won't be too hard to figure out with adequate communication, but it will be a challenge.


Quote of the Day: "Being submissive isn't a sign of weakness; it's a sign of impeccable strength.  It shows you are optimistic enough to know that what you're giving has the ability to produce a viable return." ~ Candice Loper

2 comments:

  1. I agree! Until I found a husband I had to assume the same rolls as well. Those things have made it harder on my husband because I have been so independent for so long. Overcoming this is a constant battle between the two of us. I have had to learn to "Fall Back" at times and let him assume the roll even when you don't want to

    ReplyDelete
  2. So i'm not the only one! LOL I have also found that some men get intimidated by a womans strength which in turn makes them feel like less of a man. However, that's why I say that it's important to communicate and define exactly what your expectations are because when you've been single for so long and in a position to do it ALL, it becomes slightly difficult to do SOME.

    Kimberly, at least you recognize it which will help you rectify it because once a man gets defensive about it, it's hard to bring him back from it.

    ReplyDelete